How to wire bind a calendar for your office or home is very easy. You’ll need a Wire Binding Machine (with disengageable dies) and Metal Wire (approximately 8mm). Next a calendar punch and a calendar hanger to bind your very own fully professional calendars. It’s very simple for long-runs of conventional calendars or short-runs for personalised calendars.
Method for how to wire bind a calendar
- Using your calendar thumb cut punch make a half moon cut-out along the top edge, it is important that this is directly in the centre.
- Next using the binding machine punch the calendar, you will usually need to disengage some of the dies in the middle to ensure they do not interfere with the thumb cut punch. I would recommend testing this with a scrap piece of paper to ensure everything is lined up correctly.
- You should end up with a calendar that has equal sets of holes either side of the thumb cut-out.
- Once punched, take the back sheet and bring it to the front as when binding is complete this will hide the wire join inside the calendar creating a neater finish.
- The wire must be cut so that the loops match the holes on either side of your calendar, this can be done using standard wire cutters.
- Lay the punched calendar on the edge of the desk and thread each wire through the holes.
- Now add the calendar hanger, ideally your hanger will be almost the entire length of your calendar as this will add strength and reduce the calendar sagging.
- The arm sections of the hanger should sit inside the C shape of the wire while the half-moon part rests inside the thumb cut-out of the calendar.
- The final step in binding your calendar is to carefully move the calendar with the wire and hanger in place and close the wire with your binding machine. This takes practise as the wire or hanger can easily fall out when moving. Once closed turn the calendar back page over so the wire join is hidden.
- The calendar is ready and can now be hung up. For alternate methods or help with any of the above please contact us below.
Buy the WM771 Manual Wire Binding Machine
Metal construction Can punch through 12 sheets of 80 gsm paper Bind documents up to 120 sheets of 80 gsm paper (14 mm thickness) Uses 34-loop Metal Wires from 6 mm to 14 mm Adjustable margin for customisable binding Disengageable Pins to bind custom sized documents Easy to use with a single handle for binding and clamping Removable waste paper tray.